Dry skin is one of the most common skin concerns our clients ask us about. Unfortunately, it can affect anyone, regardless of age, sex or ethnicity. If you suffer from dry skin, it means your skin is not retaining enough moisture. But what causes this loss in moisture? Take a look at the most common causes of moisture loss below, and find out how to reduce the occurrence of dry skin.
1. Frequent Hand Washing. Yes, it is important to wash your hands to remove germs and bacteria; however, repeated washing strips the skin of its natural oils leaving it rough and dry.
Tip: Try wearing protective gloves the next time you are doing the dishes, gardening or performing other household activities that lead to frequent hand washing.
2. Harsh Bar Soaps. If you are over-washing your hands, and with a harsh bar soap, you are doing a double disservice to your skin! Most bar soaps, especially deodorant soaps, consist of detergents that can send your skin's moisture barrier straight down the drain.
Tip: Stick to a mild, fragrance-free liquid hand soap with moisturizing properties.
3. Winter Weather. When temperatures drop, humidity levels do too. The brisk, dry air can leave your skin parched and causes the moisture in your skin to evaporate quickly.
Tip: The next time you venture out into cold or windy weather, remember to bring a scarf and gloves with you to protect your skin from the elements.
4. Long Hot Baths and Showers. A long, hot shower may sound great after being out in cold weather, but the hot water may strip away much of your skin's oily layer and cause it to lose moisture.
Tip: Try to limit yourself to 5 to 10 minute showers, using lukewarm instead of hot water.
5. Using Inadequate Moisturizers. Believe it or not, some moisturizers can actually worsen your dry skin. Hydrating moisturizers that contain humectants actually pull hydration from your skin when the weather is too dry (often the case in late winter and early spring).
Tip: An easy and proven way to reduce dry skin is by adding a high-quality, moisturizing collagen mask that balances the skin's moisture levels. This all-natural one from Ètre Belle is suitable for all skin types, and is currently on sale for a limited time at only $45 (reg. $79.95).
By avoiding some of these skin irritants and using some of the above tips to target moisture loss, healthy and soft skin is achievable.